Tips and techniques for posting news & articles on your Small Business Blog.
A significant portion of the average SME website will remain relatively static. Your blog therefore provides you with an opportunity to grow your website by publishing relevant, topical, quality content on an ongoing and regular basis.
The benefit of using your blog effectively is that, over time, search engines will view your quality driven efforts in a positive light and index the site on a more regular basis – refer to your keyword research to ensure that you are publishing relevant content in your blog posts (that people are actually looking for).
Blogging also enables syndication - the ability to post the blog articles off-site, in social environments such as Facebook, Twitter and other social spaces. This enables you to become relevant in non-search environments (people can discover you via web based word-of-mouth, without having used Google, Yahoo, Bing searches).
Advice on Writing Effective Blog posts
- Be original and make your own points - People like blogs because they are written by people they can relate to. Write as concisely as possible. Back it up with research and facts where possible.
- Add Links - Make your post relevant and topical with links to web pages, products as well as related Blog Posts .
- Less is More - Write shorter posts. A long post is easier to forget and harder to read (people SKIM rather than read online). A short post is easier for you to commit to writing and you can post more regularly ... write shorter posts and write them often.
- Write Attention Grabbing Headlines - Capture attention quickly, be relevant and topical.
- Include bullet points or number lists - People (and search engines) love lists, it structures info in a digestible format. E.g 10 things to remember when buying a care, The 5 big mistakes families make with budgets, etc
- Be consistent in your writing style - People like to know what to expect, once you have settled on a style for your audience stick to it. You may have to have an adapted style for each audience segment - communicate with them at their level of comfort.
- Use Keywords - Use your keyword research and make sure the keyword are not overused - Quality not quantity. Use +/- 5% keyword density (we will take care of this for you). Include your focus keyword in the Blog Title, the First and Last Paragraphs.
- Review and Edit your post - Have at least 2 other people review your post before submitting it.